Simple Sew Annabelle dress

You all probably are familiar with this fabric:

It’s the Rifle paper co. Les fleurs print of Cotton + Steel in navy and I love, love, love it. I bought it in three colours and made things with the red and periwinkle, but I want the dress I’ll make with the navy fabric to be the best dress in the universe ever. There’s a couple of contenders for the pattern I’ll use and I want to test out these patterns first before cutting into the preciousssss….

First up is this one:

It’s the Annabelle dress from Simple Sew. It came free with Love Sewing mag and has been a contender for the Les Fleurs from the start.

I made it in a viscose from Weaverdee. It’s still available at the moment.

It was surprisingly easy to sew. In my head I am very much a beginner, but I guess I’m not and should be finding projects to level up with. I did not use the instructions and looking through them now, I realise that I had a very different order of construction. I sewed up the front first, then the back, added the sleeves, then the neckband and facing. Oh well, it turned out well I think. I reinforced all seams with hemtape. The viscose frays just by looking at it, so it needed something to hang on to. All pieces went together without any problems and sewed up great. Only thing I would change on a second version is taking in the neck a bit. I have small shoulders apparently, because that’s something I have to deal with often. Definitely a contender!


Round up of things I made

I keep wanting to blog my dresses thoroughly, but there’s little time these days. So a quick overview and a clean slate is in order.

1. Juliet blouse by Simple Sew

I got a lot of positive reactions on this, but I’m not sure myself. I’d make modifications to the neckline, sleeves and the placement of the waist. The fabric is lovely though and it feels great. I made a M, this pattern runs large.

2. Laurel dress by Colette Patterns

I love this fabric so much! I’m going to make pillow covers from the remnants so I can look at it all the time. I cut a size ten, which means that this pattern runs large too, because it should not fit me this well. I added darts to create more of a waist and some length. This was the first time I used biasbinding on the raw edges and I’m very pleased with the result.

3. Ariel dress by La Maison Victor (September-October 2015)

This dress is just so pretty in person and it doesn’t come across enough in photos. It’s flirty and feminine and I’m in love with it! I don’t think I’ve ever put this much work in a dress. All seams are bound. The hem and facing have been stitched invisibly. There was a lot of pressing. The fabric is a beautiful medium weight crepe that hangs perfectly. Yup, love this dress!

4. Gillian wrapdress by Muse Patterns

I’ve owned this pattern for quite some time and I never even taped the pdf together because the examples shown in the pattern instructions kind of put me off. I bought it based on the version that you see on Indiesew, which is a beautifully sewn purple version. But I wanted a wrapdress and didn’t want to buy a new pattern, so I taped the thing and made it the next day and love it. I think it’s a very sophisticated dress and I love the little forties details. Also, it’s one of those rare wrappdresses that shows no cleavage when I bend over. That’s a neccessity when teaching.

5. McCall’s 7433

I’m not going to lie: it is a tight fit. It was meant to be, in fact all these dresses were supposed to be tight because I still want to wear them in two months. I’m losing weight again after taking a four month break and made all my recent clothes to fit a slightly smaller me at the weight where I want to end up. All the other dresses fit me better than they were supposed to, but are easy to take in. This one’s tight, but as I made it for summer that was the way it was supposed to be. I loved making this. It’s a supersoft double gauze by Cloud9 fabrics and it frays like crazy. All seams are bound. I wish I had done an invisible hem, but I will the next time as this pattern is a contender for my les fleurs navy rayon from Cotton+Steel. The instructions were clear and everything went together like a dream. This will be so wonderful to wear as the weather gets better!

5. The Susie blouse from Sew over it

This is going to be a great staple! I was a bit hesitant to sew it as I couldn’t understand how it could be both flattering and without closings. But it works wonderfully and I can see a couple more of these in my future. I hadn’t added the cuffs when I took this photo. They really make for a professional loooking sleeve though!

6. A ton of Moneta’s by Colette Patterns

This is a size L. I made no alterations except for adding width to the skirt for the boxpleats. When I gather the skirt it really emphasizes my belly. As you can see the boxpleats create a sort of panel over my belly that slims everything down. I add about 15 centimeters to the pattern pieces. As I’m 5’11 you’d think I’d need to add lenght to the bodice or skirt, but I really don’t. I think the extra weight of the skirt drags the bodice down. I also added a neckband per the tutorial on the Colette blog. I did the same for the next couple of Moneta’s:

This next one is different. I own so many Moneta’s I wanted to change it up. I added the Seamwork Margo skirt to the Moneta bodice. I’m pretty pleased with the result: