By Hand London Orsola dress

The Orsola dress has been on my radar ever since it was introduced. I love the sleek lines and the simple elegance of this dress. I wasn’t sure how it would fit on me, but I wanted to try it anyway. For this version I used the Dashwood Studios Copenhagen Blue Leaf fabric I got in my december box from Sew Hayley Jane.

It is a nice pattern to sew. All pieces line up and there’s a lining and the tulip hem to sink your teeth in. I understitched the facings and the lining. I took my time finishing everything the prettiest way I could.

I’m not completely happy with it as is. For my next version there will be a couple of changes. I will take out some of the curve of the skirt. It has too much room at the hips now. I will lengthen the skirt to hit me at the knee. I will also use a more drapey fabric for my next version. I need to stand a certain way to make sure the back doesn’t gape and I think this is mostly because of the fabric and it’s lack of drape. It doesn’t move with my body the way it needs to for this dress. But I will definitely make this again as I loved making it and still love the dress.

If you are planning to make this I would definitely recommend making a toile!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “By Hand London Orsola dress

  1. Your Orsola is absolutely gorgeous!

    I am trying to make my own… The tip about the toile is very helpful, especially with regards to the drape of the dress! I have seen so many version that are very drapey at the back, like some kind of grecian godess, and some that have a very defined “V” shape at the back… I can’t decide which one I like best!

    Did you have any issues with the printing of the pattern? I’m not sure if my printed messed the pages up, but my front and back shoulder seams are different lengths! The front shoulder is about 3 mm longer than the back shoulder…

  2. I found that too, and I had it printed at a copy shop so not my error on the cutting and sticking front (which would otherwise likely be the problem!). The shoulder seams are definitely out when you mark in the seam lines and line them up, there is a noticeable difference in the front vs the back, esp as the sizes increase.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s