By Hand London Orsola dress

The Orsola dress has been on my radar ever since it was introduced. I love the sleek lines and the simple elegance of this dress. I wasn’t sure how it would fit on me, but I wanted to try it anyway. For this version I used the Dashwood Studios Copenhagen Blue Leaf fabric I got in my december box from Sew Hayley Jane.

It is a nice pattern to sew. All pieces line up and there’s a lining and the tulip hem to sink your teeth in. I understitched the facings and the lining. I took my time finishing everything the prettiest way I could.

I’m not completely happy with it as is. For my next version there will be a couple of changes. I will take out some of the curve of the skirt. It has too much room at the hips now. I will lengthen the skirt to hit me at the knee. I will also use a more drapey fabric for my next version. I need to stand a certain way to make sure the back doesn’t gape and I think this is mostly because of the fabric and it’s lack of drape. It doesn’t move with my body the way it needs to for this dress. But I will definitely make this again as I loved making it and still love the dress.

If you are planning to make this I would definitely recommend making a toile!

Advertisements

Deer and Doe Givre dress hack?

I’m never sure when to use the word hack when sewing. I think this might qualify:

I really like the Deer and Doe Givre dress and as I am a fan of their drafting I was happy to buy it. On a whim I decided to change the skirt to an A-line, which is my favourite type of skirt, as I liked the fabric (ponte from Cotton Reel Studio) so much and knew that I most often wear the dresses in my wardrobe that have A-line skirts. I slashed and spread the pattern until an A-line was achieved, smoothed the new lines and that was it.

As always Deer and Doe have produced a well drafted pattern, with every notch and seam lining up and reliable sizing. It’s a quick and easy project and exactly the shape I like.

Simple Sew Annabelle dress

You all probably are familiar with this fabric:

It’s the Rifle paper co. Les fleurs print of Cotton + Steel in navy and I love, love, love it. I bought it in three colours and made things with the red and periwinkle, but I want the dress I’ll make with the navy fabric to be the best dress in the universe ever. There’s a couple of contenders for the pattern I’ll use and I want to test out these patterns first before cutting into the preciousssss….

First up is this one:

It’s the Annabelle dress from Simple Sew. It came free with Love Sewing mag and has been a contender for the Les Fleurs from the start.

I made it in a viscose from Weaverdee. It’s still available at the moment.

It was surprisingly easy to sew. In my head I am very much a beginner, but I guess I’m not and should be finding projects to level up with. I did not use the instructions and looking through them now, I realise that I had a very different order of construction. I sewed up the front first, then the back, added the sleeves, then the neckband and facing. Oh well, it turned out well I think. I reinforced all seams with hemtape. The viscose frays just by looking at it, so it needed something to hang on to. All pieces went together without any problems and sewed up great. Only thing I would change on a second version is taking in the neck a bit. I have small shoulders apparently, because that’s something I have to deal with often. Definitely a contender!